I enjoy making tasty food that only requires a few ingredients. One of my favorite dishes to make is a sweet potato and vegetable frittata. This can be used as a breakfast, lunch, or dinner item and may be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This frittata has a sweet potato base and the mixture on top consists of eggs, vegetables, and cheese.
To make the frittata, start with a small or medium-sized sweet potato and cut it into thin circle slices. I usually cut mine just thin enough that they bend easily.
Next, spray a large frying pan with cooking spray or olive oil. Add the sweet potato slices in a single layer around the pan. Spray some more oil and add dashes of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt over the potatoes.
Cook on medium heat for 2 minutes, then cover with a lid and continue cooking on medium-low heat for another 6 minutes. If needed, flip the potatoes over and cook for an additional minute so the other side also cooks.
Meanwhile, prepare the egg mixture by cutting the vegetables into small pieces. I use spinach, bell pepper slices, and tomatoes, but you can also use small broccoli cubes, kale, and zucchini. Any vegetable will do, and the more colorful it is, the better!
Whisk the egg mixture until the top is a bit frothy. Add the shredded cheese and stir some more. Optional: add the sour cream and stir.
Spray a glass pan with spray and add the sweet potato slices, covering the bottom. A 9-inch round pie pan or an 8×8 pan works best.
Pour the egg mixture on top, making sure to cover all the potatoes. Use a spoon to spread the mixture if needed.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes at 375°F. It is done when the eggs are no longer runny on top.
Cut into pieces and serve immediately. This dish can also be stored in an airtight container when refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Sweet Potato and Vegetable Frittata
- 1 small or medium sized sweet potato
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup spinach or kale
- 1 bell pepper- any color cut into thin strips and then diced
- 1 tomato sliced and then cut into small cubes
- ⅓ cup shredded cheese
- ½ cup broccoli optional
- ¼ cup sour cream optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Wash the sweet potato and cut into thin, circular slices
- Spray a large frying pan and add sweet potato slices around in a single layer.
- Add a bit more spray on top of the potatoes and sprinkle paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- Cook on medium heat for 2 minutes, then reduce to medium-low heat and cover with a lid. Cook for an additional 6 minutes.
- If needed, flip the potato slices over and cook for an additional minute so the other side can cook.
- Prepare the egg mixture by first chopping the vegetables into small slices. Slice and dice the spinach or kale, bell peppers, tomatoes, and broccoli if used.
- Add the eggs to a medium bowl and then whisk in vegetables, stirring until the top becomes frothy.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir until combined. Add sour cream if used.
- Spray a glass 9-inch round pie pan or a 9×13 and add the sweet potato slices in a single layer, equally spacing out the slices until they fill the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture on top, making sure to cover all the potatoes. Use a spoon to spread the mixture if needed.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes at 375°F. It is done when the eggs are no longer runny on top.
- Cut into pieces and serve immediately.